Construction on the M40 project commenced in mid-November 2016 and is expected to take twelve months to complete, weather permitting.
There are two parts to the M40 project – the northern section and the southern section.
- The northern section extends from our Preston reservoirs to Regent Street, across High Street and along Robinson Road.
- The southern section extends from Oakover Road Preston to Arthurton Road Northcote, within the centre-median along St Georges Road.
Our normal hours of work are from 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. If required, work on Saturdays will be from 7am to 1pm. If we need to work out of these hours, you will be advised at the time.
We do not expect that there will be any interruption to your water supply during our work.
Construction work for March 2017
In March we will:
- continue our trenching and pipe work west of GE Robinson Park and within Reservoirs 1, 2 and 3
- close all four lanes across High Street from 6pm Friday 17 March 2017 to 5am Tuesday 21 March.
Please check the Construction Update for our traffic managed detours.
See our time lapse video of the first pipes being delivered and installed at Crawley Street Reservoir
In March we will:
- continue to trench and install pipes between Arthurton Road and Gadd Street
- start removing trees and vegetation between Gadd Street and Hutton Street
- start ground investigation works in the west bound and east bound lanes at Hutton Street intersections as night works
- remove the palm trees at Normanby Avenue
- close the Normanby Avenue intersection for three days, from 6pm on Friday 31 March to 5am on Monday 3 April 2017, weather permitting. We will be working continuously, day and night, to install the pipes.
- start tunnelling under Miller Street and then to begin work on our retrieval shaft, located between Miller Street and Oakover Road.
See our time lapse video of the palm trees being relocated to the Yarra Valley.
Please continue to take extra care as you travel through our construction zones, allow additional time and follow the instructions of our traffic controllers who will be onsite to assist with diversions and changes, and your safety.
See our M40 project animated video
Remember, you can register to receive our Construction Updates by email.
M40 interactive map
Our reinstatement masterplan
During the planning phase, we worked with numerous stakeholders, including Darebin City Council, to identify options for reinstating the centre-median once the pipeline work had been completed.
This plan considers the existing use, amenity, safety, and our requirement to construct a critical water supply asset.
M40 reinstatement plan
Why this project is important
This water main is a critical link in our distribution network. It supports the supply of drinking water to our retail customers (Yarra Valley Water and City West Water) and Melbourne’s CBD and inner suburbs.
In the past, there have been a number of significant leaks from the M40 water main.
On completion, this project will enable us to:
- continue to supply high quality, safe and reliable drinking water
- increase capacity within the supply network
- reduce water losses and disruption due to leaks.
This project contributes to Melbourne Water’s strategic vision of Enhancing Life and Liveability.