Construction on the M40 project started in mid-November 2016 and is expected to take twelve months to complete, weather permitting.
There are two parts to the M40 project – the northern section and the southern section.
- The northern section extends from our Preston reservoirs to Regent Street, across High Street and along Robinson Road.
- The southern section extends from Oakover Road Preston to Arthurton Road Northcote, within the centre-median along St Georges Road.
Our normal hours of work are from 7am to 6pm, Monday to Friday. If required, work on Saturdays will be from 7am to 1pm. If we need to work out of these hours, you will be advised at the time.
We do not expect that there will be any interruption to your water supply during our work.
Construction work for MayNorthern section
To meet our scheduled completion date, our working hours on Saturdays have been extended to be 7am to 6pm.
Throughout May, our key activities include:
- changes to car parking at Regent Station
- closure and traffic changes at Robinson Road during work hours
- installation of new M40 pipeline along Robinson Road
- relocation of Dysons route 567 bus stop to Station Street
- construction of concrete pit at Reservoir 2.
From Friday 12 May to Wednesday 17 May, we plan to install pipes across Normanby Avenue. This work will be completed as continuous day and night shifts. The intersection will be closed to through traffic and right-turning traffic.
- motorists will be able to turn left from Normanby Avenue into St Georges Road from either direction
- commuters will be able to access tram route No 11 and tram stop 32
- bus route 510 and 955 will be detoured south via Arthurton Road and north via Hutton Street.
- bus stops will be moved east and west on Normanby Avenue until the end of the project.
To meet our scheduled completion date, our working hours on Saturdays are 7am to 6pm.
Also, we will:
- complete final ground investigation works near Arthurton Road beneath the new temporary user path during non-peak times-cyclists and pedestrians will be diverted
- trench and install pipes between Gadd Street and Hutton Street
- undertake night works to complete ground investigation works in the west and east bound lanes at the intersection of St Georges Road and Hutton Street
- continue tunnelling works between Watt Street and Oakover Road
- remove and relocate palm trees north of Hutton Street
- commence reinstatement works between Arthurton Road and Gadd Street.
M40 interactive map
Our reinstatement masterplan
During the planning phase, we worked with numerous stakeholders, including Darebin City Council, to identify options for reinstating the centre-median once the pipeline work had been completed.
This plan considers the existing use, amenity, safety, and our requirement to construct a critical water supply asset.
M40 reinstatement plan
Why this project is important
This water main is a critical link in our distribution network. It supports the supply of drinking water to our retail customers (Yarra Valley Water and City West Water) and Melbourne’s CBD and inner suburbs.
In the past, there have been a number of significant leaks from the M40 water main.
On completion, this project will enable us to:
- continue to supply high quality, safe and reliable drinking water
- increase capacity within the supply network
- reduce water losses and disruption due to leaks.
This project contributes to Melbourne Water’s strategic vision of Enhancing Life and Liveability.